share, print, or email this page

Today's Sandy Township bears little resemblance to the crude wilderness of the 1870's that spawned the municipality. It is now a bustling, thriving center of commerce, transportation, and prosperity.

Cleanfield County was formed in 1804 and the county seat, Clearfield Borough, incorporated in 1840. Brady Township, encompassing what are today Sandy Township and the City of DuBois, was the western stronghold of population and the economy in the county and Luthersburg was its commercial center.

History books describe the class struggle between the cosmopolitans of Luthersburg and their "backwards" neighbors. No elected officials were from this portion of the township and intermarriages with those from the "north country" were frowned upon.

The area was already known as DuBois, homage to John DuBois, whose father established a lumber mill in the early 1800s. The family purchased tracts of land in northwestern Clearfield County and, in 1870, Mr. DuBois moved his lumber mill from Williamsport to the area. The then-borough of DuBois was formed in 1881; the city designation came in 1915.

By 1872, the north country was ready for revolution. Like their counterparts 100 years earlier, township residents protested. They protested about taxes, specifically the road tax, among various other issues.

According to "The City of DuBois" by William C. Pentz, residents has a choice to pay their road tax in cash or to work a day maintaining the roads. Because the DuBois residents paid rather than take a day from work, roads in that area were poor and in muddy conditions. Luthersburg roads were in fine shape, however, and there was much concern that taxes would be raised to maintain routes in the pesky north country.

As Mr. Pentz stated, "There was a great deal of discontent in the vicinity of DuBois."

In September of 1877, the situation came to a head with a meeting called to form a new municipality and, in a decree by the Clearfield County Courts dated 1878, Sandy Township was born for portions of Brady, Union, and Huston townships. Its name was taken from the Sandy Lick Creek.

Early industries included timber and, like the rest of Pennsylvania, coal. In 1876, the Sandy Lick Gas, Coal and Coke Company shipped 500 tons of coal daily and, in 1877, 56 beehive coke ovens were operated by the Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal and Iron Company.

The abundance of coal also attracted rail lines to the area. Freight yards were constructed and, in turn, encouraged other industries to located to Sandy Township.

Today, Sandy Township is home to a myriad of business and industry and offers a 190 acre industrial park and a business incubator with more than 27,000 square feet for use.

By the 1920s, trucks were gaining favor as a transportation mode, but Sandy Township suffered for this innovation. Trucking meant decreased use of railroads and once again, accessibility and adequate roads became an issue.

The mid-twentieth century brought changes to the area that spelled dramatic improvement for Sandy Township: construction of a transportation network, the opening of the DuBois Mall, and the development of Treasure Lake.

In addition to rail lines, larger planes and regular commuter service at the DuBois-Jefferson County Airport and the completion of Interstate 80 literally opened the area for commerce and development. US routes 219 and 322, along with state routes 119, 255, and 830 also bolstered this economic boom.

In 1972, Montgomery Wards was the first store to open at the mall, which quickly became (and remains) a shopping hub for much of Northcentral Pennsylvania. Three expansions, the last in 1989, added two additional wings for large anchor department stores and numerous specialty shops.

Today's shopping choices include The Commons, Sandy Plaza, the DuBois Area Plaza, the DuBois Mall, as well as a delicious array of restaurants and entertainment options.

Since the 1960s, the nearly constant groudbreakings for new industries and business ventures meant a drastic increase in housing. New homes at developments like Kiwanis Park, Sylcan Heights, and the area's premier development, Treasure Lake, were soon under construction.

The 8,000 acres of Treasure Lake were carved from a 35,000 acre tract once known as Juniata Woods. In 1955, owner John E DuBois Jr and Chick Harvey began surveying the land with an eye for creating a residential and recreational community; complete with a man made lake.

One acre lots at the once Lake Rene (named for Mrs. DuBois) sold in the price of $500 to $3000 for a lakefront plot. The first sales office of Treasure Lake was a picnic table.

Today there are 2,034 total housing units at the planned residental community, along with 2 golf courses, 6 restaurants, stables, trails, 2 beaches, a swimming pool, campground with cabins, marina, a church, a fire company, and various other stores.

The gated community is a haven for both families and retirees and also a major tourism draw as well.

From that long ago wilderness with the forbidding name of north country, Sandy Township is today a shining star in northcentral Pennsylvania that offers a spectacular quality of life.

More than 10,625 people call Sandy Township home and enjoy the protection of a full time municipal staff, police force, and an active volunteer fire department consisting of 5 seperate fire stations.

A 12 member crew cares for 82 miles of township roads throughout 52 square miles of land and maintains 20.5 miles of water lines, a water pumping station, a water storage tank, 24.7 miles of sewer line, 4 sewage pumping stations, and a class "d" rated sewage treatment plant.

As a township of the 2nd class, the government is a five member board of supervisors elected at large, plus a 5 member planning commission, and a 3 member zoning-hearing board.

There are 38 full and part time employees, including a manager, secretary/treasurer, assistant secretary/treasurer, engineer, public works director, zoning officer, economic development coordinator, receptionist, maintenance crew and school crossing gaurds.

In 2004, the township implemented a curbside recycling initiative within the municipality in partnership with Brockway based Violia Environmental Services. They provide a plastic bin, in which recycleables can be placed in, that is emptied each week with normal garbage service.

Sandy Township's annual budget has grown to nearly $9 million. Its assessed real estate value is more than $100 million while the median home value is $151,962 and the median income is $53,676.

While today's Sandy Township bears little physical resemblance to the 1878 version, the same independent spirit that created the municipality rings loudly through each new development, enterprise, and home.

The modern Sandy Township, like its forebears, welcomes new ideas, partnerships, and opportunities. That is why we are so thoroughly committed to community economic development, for the betterment of all area residents, through the creation of an environment in which new jobs and careers can be launched. Businesses, indivuals, and families can easily find their places in Sandy Township, a place where dreams will remain forever possible.

Return to Top of Page